View Single Post
Old 03-01-2013, 08:29 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Is this a good starting set of mics for home studio?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drum_aruba View Post
Bo... What do you mean with the mics facing in a 45 degree angle exactly?
The critical thing is that no matter what equipment you have, without having a sound knowledge of the different techniques and processes that recording entails, your recordings will not sound as good as you would expect. Throwing money and high-end gear at recording equipment is not the answer. In many cases, you're better off buying a reference book (I use 'Modern Recording Techniques' from Focal Press) for $35 and spending a little less on the equipment - the textbook will more than make up for the shortfall is equipment spending.

I've heard terrible recordings with high-end gear and I've heard good results with microphones that I would usually consider unsuitable (SM57s all around, including overheads). Having a combination of knowledge, experience and high-end gear will get you the best results but the knowledge is really the critical factor.

The microphones you've listed are excellent. Reading a lot more around the subject and experimenting with placement and room treatment will get you the best results.