View Single Post
Old 02-27-2013, 10:10 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: NPD: Trick Dominator - Initial impressions, to be followed by periodic review

Week 1 is up and I really feel this pedal is beginning to grow on me. I'm still not 100% acclimatised to it's workings... Here are some more pictures!

The funky looking drive-shaft. Notice the two different ends (sorry, the end got lopped off a bit on one). What makes it special is just how fitted it is to the respective ends of the .
pedals. Super snug, I imagine the design lends itself to zero latency while using the slave. I haven't noticed any lag in the slave. This does not mean it doesn't feel different from the master pedal. You get a subtle feeling about the additional weight being moved. But it doesn't manifest itself in the form of a lag when you play the pedal, pretty much a 1:1 relationship between the board and the beater.

That's one good thing about being able to split the thing into two singles, something I didn't factor in when buying this pedal (for $599, gasp, I can't breathe). As a guy used to playing on a single bass drum, splitting the pedal into two singles and playing double bass was one of the fun-nest things I've done on a drumkit. There is something very different about playing two singles versus a double pedal... You might have known it, but I didn't!

I've pottered about with both combinations, two singles and the double pedal and it is really cool to have the option to go with either.

Had to experiment a bit with the velcro installation on the pedals and this was the optimum solution I could come up with using minimal velcro. I hope someone from Trick on their friends do report back to them on the need for providing a little more velcro in the box, I'm sure it'll go a long way toward swaying potential customers. Even more so on account of the common complaint that without spikes it slips and slides all over the place.
I haven't tried the pedal on anything other than a carpet (hmm, something to try out, I guess!), but it clings really well, so well that the carpet moving is a bigger problem than the slave pedal sliding around. I have a jam coming up this weekend and I'll report on my experience in a different environment in due course.

The hoop clamp mechanism seems solid and reliable, but I havent been able to try it on anything other than my electronic drum kick pad which has a rather obnoxious hoop to clamp on to :D

Pardon the dust, I need to get a vacuum of some kind. But that little hump is supposed to be the hoop! Hey, it does the job as far as triggering goes, so why complain? There were some initial hiccups with respect to the hoop clamp though. Initially, my pedal was not stable on the ground, as a result of the supplied velcro not being adequate. I'm really harping on that, aren't I! Mr Mike Dorfman of Trick Percussion should do something! A small section in the manual on appropriate placement of velcro would also be of use to those in awe of their new purchase and wanting to get the most out of it on Day 1.

Just look at those things sitting behind my humble kit with only four cymbals! I like the colour, but I have a feeling that as time goes by, the pedals could lose some of their shiney quality as they develop playing scars and nicks. But what pedal doesn't!

Going to abstain from any commentary on the playability of the pedals, I really want to put up a short video demonstrating how the compression spring and tension system works on the Dominators. I keep thinking "Moeller method" to myself while playing, it really is something to play a quadruple hit with a single foot or sequences of triplets using heel-toe. Though I imagine that my triggers must be fooling me into thinking I'm onto something new and wonderful.

Heh, I keep thinking I'll be world-renowned as...

- Reggae "Trickfoot' Mangle