View Single Post
Old 02-25-2013, 08:54 PM
Gold Member

Default Re: Genetically modified food

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
I support the scientists too. But they are funded by the governments, and the info they uncover is manipulated by the bosses of those good scientists, that's why I don't trust government sources of info. The scientists are truthful, their PR bosses are not. Cross pollination in my mind is a far cry from taking certain genes out and inserting them wherever. You're lucky in that the EU bans GMO's and you don't have to ingest them. You have to ask yourself why that is? Maybe someone can tell me.
The FDA doesn't regulate a lot of things like the EU does. Its very lax in the US. I'm not really sure why, but at least we have options. We can eat the GM food and hope for the best, we can grow our own food, we can move, or we can become a politician and try to change public policy. lol.

Seriously though, there are worse alternatives. I'm no that worried about it. Most scientists in many ways are romantic idealists, they want to discover and make new things to make the world a better place. If these foods were really eminently dangerous to our health, they wouldn't have published the paper in the first place. The fact that these results have been accepted by the scientific community, the FDA, and the grocery distributors, (all of whom do not wish to be sued for distributing and condoning mass consumption of these foods) means that its healthy enough for mass consumption. In my mind its analogous to Skittles: not natural or healthy per se, but it not poison and its tastes good.

I'm very much for labels. If this tomato has a fish gene that prevents it from freezing, it should say that it's genetically modified so people can make informed decisions and be conscious of what they eat. Its not fair to the consumer otherwise.