View Single Post
Old 02-25-2013, 02:29 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: How did Keith Moon play?

Others have alluded to this but I'll say it as well.

Keith was not particularly interested in 'playing nice' with the other members of the band. He was not an anchor (although when he wasn't dosed up he actually had decent time) to follow like we consider most drummers to be. He was a 'lead' drummer - everything he did was played for the effect of melody as much as it was rhythm. In a way, Entwistle was a perfect foil for Moon in that Entwistle had superb time and was a very, very solid bass player rhythmically who could also play fantastic melodic lines.

I've tried to get into Keith Moon's head before as a player and I've only ever sounded like a pale imitation at best. I think that's true of most of us if we try. Oddly, I think the closest player to Keith Moon might well be Elvin Jones or Rashied Ali. Both players have similar melodic leanings that Moon emulated and both also had plenty of power. I know that Anthony has a lot to say about Elvin too (he's probably my favourite player) and I can't help but think that there's a direct link in the playing between Elvin and Keith - even if Keith wasn't aware of it.