Thread: Yamaha pedals?
View Single Post
Old 02-19-2013, 03:56 AM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: Yamaha pedals?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
I had thought about ordering the direct drive version, but after futzing around with this one and being able to play it full out in the store for almost an hour convinced me to just get it.

Many players I've talked to are kinda' on the fence about the direct drive thing, me included. I tried the Trick Pro-1v a couple of years ago and didn't like it. The only direct drive I did like was my old Ludwig Speed King, and I also thought the Axis A was pretty cool (albeit over-priced). But the Trick, and the Pearl Demon kinda' left me a bit cold. So since I had such a good time with this Yamaha, I went with it. If I get to try one in person and I like it, I might get one of those too.

On a side note - is it just me or does it seem funny that high-end pedals come with a bag of some sort? Tama gives out a plastic case, and my Camco came with a bag. This Yamaha came with a bag, as do DW pedals. My pedals usually travel in a trap case. Bagging them up never occurred to me. Was there some kind of public demand for a bass drum pedal case? Back in the dark ages, did drummers always hand-carry their case-less bass pedals? I don't understand how this practice came about ;)
Like you I started on speed kings,first three pedals actually, then to DW with the 5000 series back in the '80's with a double pedal, then to the first gen 5002 with the delta hinge, then the 9000 which I loved the minute I started playing them. In between I was trying out new pedals everytime I went to the shop just to see and nothing caught my fancy. Tama, Trick (didn't like the feel of those at all), Axis, Pearl and no one had anything but the cheap single chain yamaha so nothing to compare to there. I went from chain to strap on my 9000 and really liked how it changed the feel but my feet kept telling me something wasn't right..

Kept reading all the reviews on here from Harry and others about the Yamaha direct drive and did some searching and and found one for $99, needed a pedal for a new kit at church and said "I'm getting it let's give it a try". After about 15 minutes on it out of the box i was blown away, something I hadn't experienced with any other pedal in my ! Light, smooth, super responsive. Wife about killed me when she saw the smile on my face playing it then saw me searching for one, since she was the one that bought me the 9000 for my birthday a few years earlier. Which at that time I loved. Two years later and couldn't be happier with the decision I made to get one for my personal kit.

Yeah I'm not sure when the bag/case craze came from, never had one, never had a use for one. Now I have 3 sitting in my basement LOL!!!

Have fun with that new pedal!!!!!!!