View Single Post
Old 02-12-2013, 06:17 PM

Default Re: An ironic observation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Almeyda View Post
The original double bass pedal was a monstrosity that had a bent slave beater to allow it to strike near center and the slave itself was awful. No double bass player yearns for the days of the original DW double pedals.
True enough! I still have my original bent-beater single-chain DW5000 monstrosity bought new when it first came out, and it still works perfectly well (at least, as well as that whacked-out slave can possibly work). I have always loved the feel of that original single-chain master though, especially once I installed the ball-bearing hinges, and I have never used the slave enough for it to have pissed me off *that* badly.

I never found anything that would beat that master until I bought my nearly-as-old used strap drive (with the more modern integrated slave/master casting, but the old small bearing sizes), and replaced all the bearings. I've since bought another identical strapper for the E-kit. I keep telling myself to sell the old Frankenstein double, but I just can't make myself do it. It is indeed a pedal that only its mother could love. But I might need that master again someday...

What I *ought* to do is sell some of the other 4 or 5 pedals I have laying around that didn't make the cut. Argh. Still, restored semi-old-school pedals can be a big bang-for-the-buck leader. I'll let other folks be the ones to cut their throats on the bleeding edge of technology at this point!