View Single Post
Old 02-10-2013, 12:15 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Show off your TAMA !

I just picked up this '89 (I think) Rockstar Pro shell set. I did a little research on them and found out that this is the best line of Rockstars you can get. So, I got them because they are a classic and I used to have a Rockstar set that I liked. I like the lugs on this older model, made in Japan, from the 80's. The serial number is pretty low too. 009200.

It's a little scuffed up. I might re-wrap it if I get that far. First I'm getting new heads all around. Probably Emperors over clear Ambs, or Amb X over Ambs. SuperKick II on the bass drum, of course. Next will come the hoop upgrade to 2.3mm powerhoops, re-sand and re-paint the wood hoops, and shine up all the hardware. Then, I'm thinking of upgrading the tom post to vintage Imperialstar style because that's the one thing about this kit I'm not so keen on. Luckily, I have a vintage Imperialstar tom post just laying around. I only need the mount bracket for the bass drum. Hopefully, that won't be too hard to find. Lastly, I'll re-wrap it with some Sparkle Brite or my favorite cheap plain white wrap from Precision Drums.

Update: So far I have the new 2.3mm rims, a 12, 13 & 16 set of coated emperors (which have the Pro Drum Shop logo on them BTW), and Pro Drums had an old vintage Imperialstar Bass drum mount sitting in their spare parts drawer. Got lucky there. I got the rims and talked to the guy at BoneYard about rewrapping it in my favorite white wrap from Precision Drums. My biggest hurdle will be getting those badges off safely intact. I'd prefer letting BoneYard do the wrapping part. He did a good job on my orphan kit. Well, I'll post an 'after' pic when it's done.

Last edited by Midnite Zephyr; 02-23-2013 at 04:46 AM. Reason: Add