View Single Post
Old 02-05-2013, 01:21 AM

Default Re: What got you started playing drums?

When I was 5 or 6 my parents thought I should play an instrument, so they started me with accordion lessons. Back then, an accordion player could be essentially a 1 man band.
Well, I saw the Beatles on Ed Sullivan, got a copy of Meet the Beatles, and had other ideas. Initially I wanted to play guitar, but my favorite uncle, who was about 16 at the time, played the drums so that's what I wanted to do. My 1st kit was his hand-me -down

Music- Initially the Beatles, then the rock of the 60s and 70s
Drummer- Back then, there wasn't any pro drummer I felt the need to emulate. Now, I get inspiration from every drummer I see / hear
Person- my uncle
Style- jazz, improvisational rock / blues (ie Allman Brothers, Derek and the Dominoes). I was in a 4 piece jazz band for about 6 months in college and learned more about music and drumming with those guys then any other point in my life.
Inspirations- My love of music remains my inspiration and is the reason why I picked up the sticks again. We go to jazz clubs a few times a year. They're small enough so you can see all the musicians well, I'm always mesmerized by the drummer