View Single Post
Old 01-31-2013, 08:08 PM

Default Re: Your parent's attitude towards your drumming

I started playing around 2-3 years go, around 15 years old, I don't know why I started either really. I just remember being 11 and seeing people like Lombardo and Bostaph tearing up these huge monster kits, and I was like, "I wanna do that!"

I asked my mother about learning drums but she said that we couldn't afford them or have them due to neighbors, but when I can I can get a set, she got in touch with the school I was at and got me drum lessons, however I was naive and expected to learn to play fast thrash drumming of the bat, not doing stuff like how to hold a stick and a simple roll and became disheartened about learning to drum. However looking back I wish I kept with the lessons because I know I would be a much better 4 years ago then I am today. When I stopped my mum encouraged me to go back and keep taking lessons and said we'll get you a kit soon, I had made up my mind and stopped.

A few years later I wanted to start again, however this time not only could we not afford a kit but we had just moved and couldn't afford lessons. I saved up every bit of money I could though, and i bought a kit, which I was then told I couldn't play, I discovered you can get drum mute pads for them and told my mum, and she went and bought me some.

I haven't stopped drumming since, and I'm now in a band, my mum has been very supportive about my entire drumming life and band life, she doesn't like it when I'm sat downstairs and I just start tapping on stuff though haha.

As for a line of musicians, as far as I'm aware I was the only musical member of my family instrument wise till I started drumming (except a distant uncle I have never heard of who was a drummer). my brothers then took up the guitar a couple years after I took up drums, i wonder if I may have influenced them at all.