Thread: DW 5000
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2013, 06:13 PM

Default Re: DW 5000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotstixlix View Post
I am looking to purchase my first DW5000 double bass drum pedal. I have never used double pedals. I play in an 18-piece jazz/swing band that doesn't require constant or heavy playing, but the music does offer occasional 2-4 bar solos that I feel would be more easily played with a double pedal.

DW5000 pedals are now offered in the AD4 model which offers some improved features (so says DW) over their previous pedals. If I decide to purchase the AD4, are the improvements worth the price and do they offer that much difference over the previous models?

DW's 5000 series used to offer chain models, strap models, accelerator vs. delta turbos and each pedal seems to differ slightly.

So, that being the case, which pedal might work the best? I spotted a strap model for sale for around $200, but most of the DW5000 I have seen are of the chain variety. How does the strap model compare with the chain pedal?

So....you guys are the experts. Which pedal would you choose?

Thanks,

Barry

I swear by strap drive pedals myself. Some drummers say you can't get the power that you have with a chain drive, by using a strap. But I think it's completely the opposite. A strap offers much less resistance, and contributes to a lighter and faster motion. I just feel like a strap drive is smoother and much quicker. Less weight means the pedal returns to your foot faster, and that's always a good thing.

I have a friend who plays DW 5000 pedals religiously. Like myself, he prefers a strap drive pedal, but the DW5000 is his exception. He owns one of the older models, that came out in the late 90s I think. (I'm no DW expert, so don't heckle me if I'm wrong.) But I know he's had it for a while - and he's had everything short of a DW 9000, and he's always come back to the old 5000 pedal.

So all in all, if you can get a DW 5000 either way, I think you'll be happy. But if you can get your hands on a strap drive? I think you'll have your perfect pedals.

Last edited by EarthRocker; 01-30-2013 at 06:35 PM.