View Single Post
Old 01-25-2013, 03:33 AM
Renegade

Default Re: Should drummers call themselves musicians?

lol - or the inside of a ping pong ball.

And of course noise can be tonal - could be anything from Toto to Masonna ... turn that noise down!!

Easy to parse noise and noisy on a basic level. "Noisy" is a relative term. If you knock a spoon on to the kitchen floor, it makes a noise, but it's not noisy (unless there's a baby or shift worker trying to sleep). However, if you're a burglar in the kitchen at night and you knock the spoon the floor it would be very noisy!

If you feel like sending me an MP3 of some of your piano playing, I'd be keen to hear. Can you play any conventional tunes on it? My "proper" piano playing is as basic as you can get but if I just go for it I can do a fair Cecil Taylor impression :) The intro to this is not something I could reproduce https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4h8mQY2MRYg

A few months ago I started playing silly buggers on the keyboard and a friend said "I didn't know you played piano". It just goes to show the importance of rhythm because that was all I brought to the table other than a wish to ape Cecil Taylor's more "out" moments. Hal Galper talks about how Dizzy Gillespie gave primacy to rhythm over melody - from the "it don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing" school.

YouTube

Off-the-wall