View Single Post
Old 01-24-2013, 10:15 PM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: Should drummers call themselves musicians?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon La Ply View Post
In 20 years' time rappers will be as integrated into the music system as synthesisers
I’ve pondered that sort of thing now and then. My current thought is that, no, rap will never be “as integrated into the music system as synthesisers.”

Love of drums aside, the part of music that really stays in human minds is melody. There’s some sort of mysterious glue that sticks melodies to neurons. The ability to remember melody is completely innate and comes with the human condition. But that is not so true for rhythm, and since rap has no melody, I think that the whole genre will fade pretty quickly from general public consciousness. There’s just nothing going on in rap that works on the level of melodic music.

And for those who disagree, I suggest that the only way you can remember rap tracks is by extensive repetition. But you remember “Twinkle Twinkle Little Star” for the rest of your life after only 1 or 2 hearings.

Sadly, I must admit that what I said above also applies to drums, or drum solos, anyway. I mean, I know Peart plays a very cool solo on the latest live video, but I don’t remember much in the way of detail.