Thread: Nick Mason
View Single Post
Old 01-23-2013, 09:04 AM

Default Re: Nick Mason

In late November 2007, I had the pleasure of meeting and interviewing Norman Smith in his home, shortly before he died. I think it may have been his last interview.

Some of you may know him as the Abbey Road recording producer who worked with The Beatles on all their albums right up to Rubber Soul (almost 100 tracks in all), and Pink Floyd's first second and fourth studio albums. He had some great stories and as far as I was concerned I could have spent many more hours listening, however his health was failing and I didn't want to stress him too much.

Anyway, what some might not know is he was a drummer and percussionist, and often if a drummer in a band was struggling with a part he would step in and play. He played on 'Remember A Day' from Saucer Full of Secrets, and in fact it was only ever played it once live apparently (on Later with Jools Holland), by a band put together by Gilmore, and not by Mason.

He also played on some Beatles tracks when Ringo simply could not get his head around what the producer wanted. However, I can't remember which ones.

I think Norman 'Hurricane' Smith (or Norman 'Normal' Smith as John Lennon liked to call him) should be recognised as a drummer as well as a producer and recording artist.

He and his wife were very nice people and it was a pleasure to meet them.

Chromium