View Single Post
Old 01-23-2013, 12:31 AM
Pollyanna's Agent

Default Re: Should drummers call themselves musicians?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon La Ply View Post
... if I remember rightly, Larry's comment came from frustration at seeing other drummers at local jams - drummers who bash all the time, who don't listen and just shoehorn their licks into the songs, who step on the vocals and soloists, whose tempo is uneven etc.
?!? ...I didn't know Larry came to my gigs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon La Ply View Post
Some classical boffins believed that drums were not a musical instrument but merely noise makers. At the time drums did have more of a sound effect role in classical rather than being intrinsically tied to the flow and structure of the music as they are in jazz and other modern music.
A drummer is a musician, of course, and drums are instruments indeed.

But what about some "drummers" who don't have any "musical" background, they don't know and don't understand note value, time signature, rudiments or the application of the sol-fa syllables to a musical scale or to a melody, they can only "bash" the drums , but they can't discuss or explain anything about music, technically, harmonically or melodically, are they still called "musicians"? I'm not talking about beginners, some drummers have been playing like that for years, and although they're obviously not professional they still gig around locally.

Is it OK to just bang the drum to a pulse, not knowing what you're doing (even if it sounds good) and having credit for it? My guess is that our "reputation" lies with those type of drummers, which are seen by the other instrumentalists as non-musicians because of the lack of any kind of education in music.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
...getting close to Pythonesque bad taste Henri, & I love it!!!!!!
I was only imaging your post Andy, you called Doc a "naughty girl", lol ... for me it was enough to get to the drawing board :)