Thread: Girl drummers
View Single Post
Old 01-18-2013, 03:17 AM

Default Re: Girl drummers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon La Ply View Post
Jasper,

Your "drumming is inherently masculine" angle is way off the beam, you might like to check out the book "When the Drummers Were Women: A Spiritual History of Rhythm".

The reason why not so many women play drums drum is a traditional stereotype based on patriarchal suppression. In short, it would read "Men are strong, women are weak. Drumming is a robust activity and it is unfitting of a lady to do such an activity". I have spoken with many women who have expressed a wish to play drums, but they say they "can't". What they mean is they are afraid of being judged as masculine.

Do you see a lot of men playing the harp? Genetic predisposition? I wonder how many guys don't do dancing when they are young because it's perceived as feminine in the world of brain-dead jocks?

Meanwhile, fundamentalist Islamists will tell you that women are unsuited to being educated because we are unable to reason logically. Some nice irony there, no?
I simply stated PERHAPS it is a masculine trait. I personally don't feel that there is any actual testing of genetic predispositions for various instruments. I was just merely speculating.

The mere fact that we all enrolled on this website, is a testament to the devotion some of us have towards our instrument, willing to share our knowledge and experience with others for the benefit of the community. I honestly do not feel anything I've said (or posted) will change anybody's opinion of themselves.

There were plenty of female drummers back in my school days, and in the drumlines I've marched with. I've played along side many female drummers. Like I said, I didn't just come up with my observations out of thin air. I didn't put females in certain chair sequences, or judge their ability. I simply watched what happened. I encourage all musicians to pursue their goals.

In fact, I'd like to help change my perception, along with those people who see the same things I do. But - my issue with that is self-conflicting. How does one encourage females to do something, without being sexist in the first place?