View Single Post
Old 01-09-2013, 05:29 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Pushing the envelope of this forum, non drum related

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon La Ply View Post
Nuthin slippery around any of them, although I suspect herrings of any colour will be slippery ... I'd see your straw man and up you a malapropism except I've forgotten what it is and couldn't be bothered Googling :)

All these legal changes will happen, just as abolishing slavery was always going to happen. Just as women will one day have equal rights in Asia and the Middle East (although that will take much longer). It's just a matter of getting past the inertia of tradition.
That's a sticky slope argument - "This case that I support is just like the cause of [fill in name of some great, well-known human movement for freedom and equality from any time and place]." Your cause is just like the struggle against slavery, so how could any right-minded person think differently, right?

I could argue the slippery slope, that your case is really like [fill in the name of some well-known human-caused disaster, injustice, or failed policy] but I won't because analogy is a very weak form of reasoning. From your statement, it isn't too hard to extrapolate that those who oppose cannabis legalization are in the same camp as those who support slavery and oppose women's rights in the Middle East, a "wrong side of history" theme.