Thread: Ringo Starr
View Single Post
Old 01-04-2013, 04:34 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Ringo Starr

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
Does one have to be great at their craft to be an influence? Ringo even with "mediocre" skills got a lot of young people to play the drums. Most of them may be better than he, but the point is he was an influence. My dad got me into fishing and sports by exposure only. The most he ever did in sports was be a manager of his College hockey team. I am a far better fisherman than he could have ever dreamed of being, but he was the major influence in getting me into those activities. Yes Ringo was the biggest influence on a ton of drummers even if he wasn't the best man behind the kit.
No, one doesn't have to be great at the craft to be an influence; as I said, Ringo was the most influential drummer ever. Sometimes, all it takes is dedication, longevity, a desire to make people happy with music, being in the right place at the right time,, and having just the necessary skills to get the job done. Notice how many of the greatest songwriters aren't very talented musicians - they know enough to create remarkable music without high technical skills.