View Single Post
Old 01-03-2013, 01:27 PM

Default Re: Looking for a DAW that isn't impossible to use

Here is the problem.

All of the DAWs you have listed are very expensive - and there is no guarantee that they will work with the V-Drums.
I have as of now tried 3 different DAW and they outright refuse to work with the V-Drumkit.

Spending up to half a grand on a DAW when there is absolutely no guarantee that it will work with the drumkit sounds very stupid to me. Not to mention the commitment of astronomical size that follows when it comes to learning and understanding it.
I need a DAW that can either have a free demo version that I can try and see if it works or not with the unit I am using.
I have as of now tried 2 different version of CuBase (SX3 and v5) and that didn't work I think. I was able to get the program to register the hits but there was no sound coming out and even the VST I tried using where a complex mess to use - no online tutorials exist for mapping a V-Drum to a VST on the entire Internet.

I tried Sonar - I was unable to find the controls for assigning the drumkit to a MIDI track. Sonars GUI is an incomprehensible mess and I cannot be bothered with a DAW that literally requires a degree in musical engineering to grasp.

Next I tried Fruit Loops Studio 9. I have been unable to make the program connect with the drumkit. I can create MIDI tracks and assignt VSTs to said MIDI-tracks but it seems to be absolutely impossible to assign the V-Drums to a MIDI-track. It just will not happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacteriumFendYoke View Post
Right.

If you are trying to simply record the sounds that your kit produces when you listen to it using headphones then you can actually completely ignore MIDI. You don't need to think about it, just know that your module is doing that part automatically. All you need to do is plug a pair of stereo cables into the left and right outputs of your module, then plug the other end of the cable into your computer's stereo input. You might need a converter cable to do this - two mono 1/4 jacks into a single 3.5 mm jack. If you don't know what these are, then you need to do some more reading..
I *WISH* it was that easy!

I've done this on 3 different computers and the sound the drum makes when recording is absolutely terrible. The sound sounds extremely muffled and weird - it's as if I was running the entire drumkit through a wah-wah pedal. I also get weird Audio Feedback. I tried using both my stationary computers mic entrance as well as 2 laptops and the result is always the same - strange muffled next-to garbled distortion of the sound.

It's unexplainable. When I connect my headphones directly to the drumkit - it sounds perfect - if I connect that port to a computer microphone - it sounds like utter useless garbage.

Not to mention the massive latency issues I face with when connecting it to the microphone jack. I get immense lagspikes - even when using the desktop computer I have which is a very powerful PC.

The only way I have managed to record the drums to the PC is using a Guitar Effect pedal (A Zoom G2.1u)I have that has a USB interface. Problem is that there is no way to turn off the effects of the effect pedal so the drum sound comes out all messed up because of the guitar effect - it is just simply not designed to be used with anything else than a guitar.

If I knew that it would be this impossible to record the drumkit of a PC - I wouldn't have bothered buying a Roland V-Drumkit in the first place. I am starting to think that the out-ports on the V-Drumkit is utter useless garbage

Last edited by Akuma; 01-03-2013 at 01:44 PM.