View Single Post
Old 01-03-2013, 05:52 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Looking for a DAW that isn't impossible to use

Right.

I've been trying to answer your questions on another thread but I think there are some crossed wires here.

You're not going to find any DAW easier than another. They're all slightly different but all roughly the same in terms of what is required to use them in terms of skill. Choose one and stick to it - it doesn't actually massively matter which, they all do the same things. You learn by doing. Try to do something, read the manual. I suggest starting at 'recording a single audio track/channel' from start to finish.

As for the MIDI question. You're confusing MIDI and audio.

MIDI is simply data. Numbers sent down the cables to the computer. Audio is actual sound in the form of analogue electronic current.

Your drum kit's module can produce either MIDI or Audio (or both, at the same time) as output. They are different things. MIDI is not sound. MIDI needs to be translated by software (or hardware) into sounds using the data as a basis.

If you are trying to simply record the sounds that your kit produces when you listen to it using headphones then you can actually completely ignore MIDI. You don't need to think about it, just know that your module is doing that part automatically. All you need to do is plug a pair of stereo cables into the left and right outputs of your module, then plug the other end of the cable into your computer's stereo input. You might need a converter cable to do this - two mono 1/4 jacks into a single 3.5 mm jack. If you don't know what these are, then you need to do some more reading.

At that point, create two mono tracks in your DAW, assign the channels to the stereo input and it's just a case of hitting 'record'. If you don't know how to do this, get your hands busy with the software and learn. I can't teach you how to use a DAW step-by-step here and I've been using DAW software since I was a teenager (over ten years).

Now. Here's why you don't have to worry about MIDI if you are recording this way.

Your drum module is doing all the complicated audio conversion for you. It just has a limited number of sounds.

Electric drum kits work like this:

Piezo (on the drum or cymbal) --> Electrical current --> Drum module --> MIDI --> Conversion into audio --> Audio --> Output

I've highlighted conversion because this is where your confusion is. Conversion can take place internally in the drum module (which is why you can just plug headphones in, hear something and play with the sounds) or you can take the MIDI data out before it's been converted and send it to a computer to do the conversion and the audio.

I hope this helps.