View Single Post
Old 01-01-2013, 06:25 AM
Renegade

Default Re: Poll: What is your genre and bass drum size?

The latest averages, nuttin' much changing now:

rock 22.7
jazz 18.0
metal 23.3
blues 19.3
lounge 17
experimental 22
world 20
all 21.9

Around 60 out of 73 of us play in, um, hard hitting genres.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacteriumFendYoke View Post
I'm thinking a straight histogram would be more appropriate than a bell-line given that we're working with non-continuous variables, Grea!

/Nitpick

Now this really is turning into my old job...
Nice pick, Duncan :) Theoretically, the line chart is used to describe time periods (like the famous profit/loss charts you see in movies) but since we were talking about Bell Curves I felt it would describe things better than columns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PQleyR View Post
Interesting that the range goes 6" in either direction from the median value. A 30" or 14" bass drum wouldn't be unimaginable but it seems like 22" is all the averages, if you round up the mean! There must be something about that size in particular.
Good point, Ben. There are a few converted 14" floor tom --> bass drums out there. More than 30" (I've not seen one in the flesh/wood before).

22 = mystical drummer number ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
Don't forget gender. And of course, hair length - short, medium, long and none. LOL
Sure thing! Male ave = 21.97, Female ave = 18

Hair length & colour ... does not compute. insufficient data. invalid parameter. beep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NerfLad View Post
Well a one-word or one-genre classification never tells the full story.
Agree entirely. 3D human beings cannot be reduced to 2D ciphers, not in any aspect of their being. But we make "for most practical means and purposes" assumptions for simplicity's sake.

Data analysis is really useful when it's treated as a guide rather than gospel truth. Makes me think of the parable of the the blind men who variously say that an elephant is like a tree trunk, a rope, a wall, spear, fan or snake.

Soundcloud stream