View Single Post
Old 12-29-2012, 09:08 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Pushing the envelope of this forum, non drum related

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Watso View Post
So what makes one "experience" more valid than another?

I don't understand what you mean. What is neutral about the way intoxication changes someone's thoughts? Perhaps you meant a different term?

This just makes me think you really don't have a clue about the subject we're discussing here. LSD is one of the most powerful mind-altering substances ever created or discovered.

I certainly never said they were. They aren't. You're not going to be a master artist or musician as the result of mind-alteration. What you might get, however, is a change in thought pattern which leads to creativity which might never have been spurred in a normal state.

Nonsense. People use intoxicants responsibly and with excellent judgement all over the world, every day. The freedom to make our own choices, and mistakes, along with their consequences is what this country should be about. If I can use guns responsibly, it is childish and unfair to take them away from me because some other idiot shot someone when they were not acting responsibly.

Irrelevant to this discussion. People who aren't drunk tend to have better work habits too. And finally, people with poor work habits get fired, as they should. It is irresponsible to come to your employment intoxicated in any way.

From what I can tell, there's no real logic in your view here, which is what I've been trying to get at.

This is not true, especially where cannabis is concerned. Increasingly people are seeing exactly how stupid it is to fight a "war" on a natural plant; a war we have no hope of winning, or even making a dent in. People are waking up and seeing that really, it's just not a big deal. It is easily comparable to alcohol, and proven to be far less dangerous in nearly every conceivable way.

Why is that your business to tell them what they can do to, or with their own body? Why is it that you hate the idea of people being free to live how they want? I shake my head when I see someone kill themselves with whiskey, but I would die to support their right to do so.
Everyone thinks there are some drugs that should be illegal, even some derived from a natural plant, like heroin. I just include a few more drugs in that category than you do. Unless you think heroin should be freely available in society.

By the way, you say I "don't have a clue" but I in turn find your views to be well-reasoned. I just don't agree with them, for reasons of my own, which I happen to think are more valid than yours. That means I respect you and your views - even if you don't reciprocate.