View Single Post
Old 12-28-2012, 01:22 AM
Renegade

Default Re: Pushing the envelope of this forum, non drum related

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
Personally, I'd rather not go back to the last century, when there were no consistent laws against drugs in the US, cocaine was put in sodas and cocaine addicts were lauded as intellectuals. Large chunks of the population were seriously addicted to some pretty nasty substances and I think we have found about the best possible accommodation these days, given the inherent tendency of many people to get addicted to something anyway.
That's why regulation is necessary. Instead they threw the baby out with the bathwater with prohibition and created a nice, fat black market for the Mr Bigs. Utterly self defeating knee-jerk response. As I said a "magic bullet solution".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
Freud said that when you were potty trained strongly influenced your whole personality. Too early and you became hyper-organized (anal retentive), too late and you became disorganized and slothful (anal expulsive). If someone postulated such nonsense today they'd rightly be the butt of jokes and drummed out of their profession. You'd have to be higher than a kite to come up with such weirdness - such are the effects of injecting large amounts of cocaine I guess.
Freud and Jung created the psychodynamic school of psychology and it was a mighty achievement ... greater than any of us are likely to manage. By its very nature, scientific breakthroughs are not flawless - those who follow refine and improve the theories.

I think you overplay the cocaine connection, anyway. People can be flawed geniuses without drugs too.

Duncan, I'm sure you'd agree that if fisticuffs are required everyone is on the losing side (although some may not realise it).

Soundcloud stream