View Single Post
Old 12-28-2012, 02:01 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Pushing the envelope of this forum, non drum related

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Watso View Post
It's extremely hypocritical to make statements like this while not advocating a ban on alcohol. It's far worse than quite a few schedule 1 drugs, as we've already discussed. In the "close to home" category here, what if Larry's stepson was hit by a drunk driver? It could possibly have been prevented if alcohol were not legal... But as we both know, that's really not a good stance. Although many many people abuse alcohol, many other people can use it responsibly, and it benefits their life to become intoxicated once in a while, even if only short-term.
It's no more hypocritical than simultaneously supporting legalizing all drugs but banning alcohol!

We don't necessarily know if anyone involved in any particular auto accident was under the influence of cannabis (or even alcohol), so I personally will wait, and you may wish to choose that option too. Would you be open to the possibility that, if no intoxicants were involved in a particular crash, then we should take that as a validation of anti-cannabis laws? "The accident could have been much worse if anyone had been under the influence of cannabis, but thankfully it's illegal so it wasn't a factor." Everything cuts in several directions.

We don't have to ban everything because we ban some things. I think having alcohol legal presents enough challenges to society as-is and I'd oppose any efforts to make anything else legal.