View Single Post
Old 12-21-2012, 05:02 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Shooting in Newtown, Connecticut Elementary School

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdadruma View Post
As I have learned more about how the event unfolded I have concluded that it is time to have armored structure in school buildings in the needed areas.
I also believe that a trained and armed special officer is needed at every school.
Perhaps It could be a job for officers who are nearing retirement who want to do it.
Children will always be prey for sick demented criminals simply because they are defenseless.

Gun control alone will not solve the issue.

The Newtown Fire Department has received 6000 Teddy Bears to hand out. They have handed out over 1000 already.
Millions of dollars in donations have come in for the families.
The media is beginning to thin out a bit and a sort of, "normalcy" for lack of a better word in starting to settle in.
Of course we all know that it will never be the same.

I am off to Sandy Hook in a few moments for Jazz band practice. We decided to hold it to get a break from the sadness.
Check with your school board and local pd about the School Resource Officer program. It used to be federally funded grant program ( may still be) at least for first few years, and does exactly what you say. As I explained earlier, I was one of these for 4 years and the program works.