View Single Post
Old 12-20-2012, 05:55 PM
Gold Member

Default Re: Shooting in Newtown, Connecticut Elementary School

I've been reading this thread and thought I'd stay out of it, but just couldn't help putting my two cents in.

As you can probably tell by my username, I happen to be one of those dreaded "Gun" people.

As a member of the US Army for 22 years.........I had the opportunity to see many places where the government, or criminal elements, were the only ones with "arms" and it never seemed to work in the citizens favor. As much as we would all like to have "Peace on Earth", man is a violent species...........and, unfortunately will continue to be.

Personally, I think we need to look at all factors instead of the knee jerk reaction of banning all guns. It is an American constitutional right that has been in place since our inception............which was, by the way, a violent one. The vast majority of gun violence, in our country, is committed by criminals who couldn't care less what laws are passed.

I grew up in Pine Ridge, South Dakota, one of the poorest places in America, to this day. Anyone familiar with Pine Ridge will tell you it is not the "ideal" place to grow up. We had many issues, but guns were not one of them. For my 12th birthday, I received a .22/410 over and under, kept it in my closet along with the ammo............every kid I knew owned a gun, but we would never have thought of shooting each other.............plenty of fist fights, but no gun violence. Right or wrong it was the culture we lived in. It wasn't that we didn't see people use guns..........all of our heroes did, John Wayne, Clint Eastwood, etc............but the guns were always, in our minds, used for good.

Todays kids, mine included, are not allowed this easy access to weapons. I think that is for the better, as children don't always understand the consequences of their actions. I do feel that children should be taught weapons safety and always respect the inherent danger.

What I feel changed was the way we raise our children...............

- todays children spend an average of 4 to 5 hours a day watching TV, playing video games, on the computer etc. Real social interaction isn't near as prevalent.

- Many children are raised in single parent households, as was I. The result, in a lot of cases, is the children do not get the same attention, guidance or supervision as when there are two parents in the house

- The lack of facilities to deal with the mentally ill.........these need to come back.

These factors, along with decreased individual responsibility, has not been good for our children.

I know plenty of you will disagree, and that is fine, but myself and many Americans see it the same way.

Bacterium, I had never known our second amendment, or the concept, came from a British document...........interesting, but not surprising, as most everyone in the original thirteen colonies had ties to Britain..........what document did it come from? I'd like to look it up.

Last edited by longgun; 12-20-2012 at 07:48 PM.