View Single Post
Old 12-18-2012, 03:29 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Shooting in Newtown, Connecticut Elementary School

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
I'll be darned, I guess i need to reconsider that aspect of it. I always thought SROs were mainly for junior high school and high school, where kids are starting to get into more trouble. I used to be a newspaper reporter and covered police and crime and had work relationships with numerous officers, including SROs, which were just in the upper grades at the time and the schools paid part of the officer's salary. I learn something new every day.

As long as there is an armed police officer, or a secured defensive firearm accessible to trained staff, then I think schools are much safer. If each school needs to have an officer assigned to it, and if the school districts and cities can budget for that, then so be it. I'd be willing to pay more in taxes to assign an officer to every school.
With the younger ages, we were there for problems but we were more proactive than that. I did anti drug classes, Internet safety classes and even taught a fingerprint lab for the 5th graders (loved that one!). We were in the classrooms, at ball games and really developing relationships with the kids. Then on top of that there was the safety as well. Thats why I'm such an advocate...it's a win-win situation :)