View Single Post
Old 12-18-2012, 03:22 AM

Default Re: Shooting in Newtown, Conneticut Elementary School

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryO View Post
There are many factors, not the least of which is lack of facilities for mentally ill and disturbed children. This was something I fought daily when I was a School Resource Officer. I saw children who were mentally disturbed and a danger to others, some of them as young as 7 years old, but when I would try to have them removed from the school or find them help, it was almost non-existent. Our society doesn't want to believe that young children can have criminal intent or be dangerous and so we bury our head in the sand until they are older and they refuse help or it's just too late and they turn our like the shooter here. Until we improve these types of services we are not going to move forward.
+100 to this.

I have been a school teacher for over twenty years, and I understand and agree entirely with what Mary is saying.

I remember in the early nineties we began to see these types of kids more and more. They are to a least a degree, products of their environments. Often they grow up in "homes" devoid of any kind of emotional, physical, or mental support. They are neglected and abused. Some are able to rise above this, but many don't. For those of us who grew up in relatively normal homes, we have no idea of the private hell their lives can become.

I don't know what else to say. I think the number of times that this has happened since columbine is a symptom of a society that needs to fix itself in so many ways. Its not just an American problem, a student was shot and killed at a school only 45 minutes from where I live and work.

I don't know about arming teachers. My God, how did we get here?