View Single Post
Old 12-18-2012, 12:49 AM
Administrator

Default Re: Shooting in Newtown, Connecticut Elementary School

Quote:
Originally Posted by opentune View Post
Am not a Brit or Aussie I can weigh in as a Canuck. Most things in Canada are the same as USA divided by 10 ( scale to population) except gun related crime. Way, way down in comparison. People simply cannot access firearms here, esp. hand guns.

As noted above, a country needs a social support system for problem kids/families. More social systems are needed. Gun control, obvious, but admittedly complicated.
We had here,in this instance, a child with some social/mental issues known to the mother so how in the hell did he have access to her weapons ? this is the gun control we need. Too late in this case but for every accident or crime permitted with a weapon owned by someone else that is not secured should bring the wrath of the law on the gun owner.
I have been planning for months to buy a pistol for my home, that would never leave my home except for classes and target shooting at the local store, and since this event I have had to really think this over. However the latest group of shootings like this have all been by persons with social/mental issues. I have not changed my mind on ownership. Any law will be broken by any person with these issues. they don't care about the law.