View Single Post
Old 12-17-2012, 09:55 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Shooting in Newtown, Connecticut Elementary School

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
You know Martin I was going to post a similar response. Except I think the teachers, and indeed any adult working there, should have a defensive weapon, possibly something non lethal that can incapacitate a person. I mean it's reached that point. So OK bringing real guns in school would be a hot topic, but how about something as effective, but not deadly?

Like a taser or something along those lines. I see nothing wrong with that, only because what we have now, meaning nothing, isn't working.

I can't help wondering if everyone was armed for real, what would that do to todays society? Would it make more shootings or less shootings? I might be less inclined to shoot if everyone else was armed. It could go the other way too. I wonder how it would actually play out.
Armored car people carry weapons because they have to guard very valuable things and are at risk of violence because of it. As we are discovering, so are teachers. I think they should have tasers too, but at least one defensive firearm should be kept at the schools, in a vault with something like a fingerprint ID lock. Only trained teachers and administrators should have access to it and they should need to qualify regularly on their training.

It is impossible to stop anything like this from happening. Any coward gunman with enough determination can do this with even worse weapons. One component of the solution is to give teachers the means to better defend their schools with thier lives.