View Single Post
Old 12-17-2012, 06:28 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Shooting in Newtown, Connecticut Elementary School

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryz View Post
I am curious. Can the [. . .] Brit drummers here chime in as to average number on gun-related deaths in their country per year?
According to Gun Control Network, there were 58 firearms related homicides in England and Wales (population approx 56 million) in the year 2010/11 and 2 in Scotland (population approx 5 million) for the same period.

In the first 6 months of 2012 there were 42 recorded shooting deaths in the UK - 57% of which were with known or presumed legal firearms and 55% were apparently self-inflicted. It seems that since 1999/2000 the majority (about 430 in England & Wales and 11 in Scotland) of recorded firearm homicides have been with what are simply classified as "Handguns". Since 1997 private ownership of all cartridge ammunition "handguns" (i.e. not air pistols) regardless of calibre has been outlawed in England, Wales, and Scotland. I'm not sure about Northern Ireland.

FYI The Gun Control Network was founded in the wake of a shooting in March 1996 that took place at a school in Dunblane (Scotland) when a 43 year old male shot and killed 18 people (including himself) as well as wounding 15 others. The weapons used - two 9mm pistols and two .357 Magnum pistols - were (at that time) legally owned.