Thread: Hong Kong!
View Single Post
Old 11-27-2012, 02:58 AM

Default Re: Hong Kong!

I've spent a great deal of time in Hong Kong. It's a very stratified society there. A highly sophisticated kind of "old boy network" with lots of rules.

I first went there as a consultant for some Chinese production companies. Worked with some bigshot entertainment lawyers and went to a lot of Hong Kong showbiz parties. At one of them, when I mentioned I played the drums, the hostess gave me what I've since learned to recognize as the Chinese Put Up or Shut Up look and showed me to the music room in her house where, among various keyboards and guitars, a Yamaha maple stage custom set, um, sat.

Luckily, I hadn't gotten too drunk yet, so I played a little groove...and was soon joined by the other musicians at the party. Since then, every time I've gone back I've hung and gigged with some amazing players.

But I couldn't force my way in. I had to prove myself, and then they asked me. I still don't play unless they ask me.

If your girlfriend knows local pros, make sure you meet them ASAP...and then wait for the Put Up or Shut Up thing to happen.

Good luck and have a great time!