View Single Post
Old 03-31-2006, 07:39 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: The Grand Master Buddy Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by toteman2
I can totally see the "up close" effect Buddy could've left on people back in the day no doubt...I mean NOBODY was doing the things Buddy was doing back then, and then you actually witness it...I must have been breathtaking...I see "oldschollers" regaurding Buddy as the best there ever will be as kind of a Babe Ruth effect...I talk to alot of old baseball buffs who all reaguard Babe Ruth as the best ever, and I argue with them non-stop...Babe Ruth was the best of HIS TIME...The game has evolved so much since then...You have athletes who excell in almost every phase of the game, and they have to do it agaist much better competition...

Do I beleive that Buddy's time was the greatest time for drummers ever? Not at all...I think we're living in that time right now...The explosion of "over the top" drummers in the last 10 years is like it has never been...The advancements in the industry are at a level never sceen before, and we happen to live in a time where soooo many drummers are able to share information and communicate with one another (hence drummerworld)...Drumming has been going nowhere but up since Buddy, and Buddy has ALOT to do with that...The standards he set were able to push drumming to where it is today...IMO it's at a much higher level...

And IMO I don't think we can ever say who is the BEST...Drumming is far to wide open to limitless options to say who is best...
I have to disagree on these things totem. I don't think our time is even 10% as good as the drummer peaks in the 60s and 70s. All of those top guys then were the great innovators. Nowadays I just don't hear innovators, which is like guys who are doin' something to push a unique sound or voice along with their great technique and skills. Today I hear alot of "chops guys" but nothing that hasn't already been done before in some other way.

Sometimes it sounds like a bunch of great drummers were all smashed together to create some mutant named Vinnie Hellhammer Donati. But they still sound like pieces of old stuff. This doesn't mean they don't play the drums super great. But I don't see any of these guys turning into immortals that get talked about like people go on about Bonham and Rich. Maybe Chambers, but I don't know. I just don't see the old magic dust today. And I don't count Gadd in this because he's really part of this same older age where Rich comes from. He just comes from the end of that.

When I was at NAMM a couple of months ago, I got to hear all these big guys, the ones everybodys all into now. But to me they were all masters but kinda sounded real similar. They had incredible chops but were not innovators. Nothing got me like when I hear Elvin Jones, Rashied Ali or Tony Williams, Morrello or John Bonham, Buddy or Louie Bellson before he got sick. One thing about today is there seems to be more guys goin' around to the music stores and such. Thats why i think some people think its a bigger scene now. But back in the older time big guys played in schools and there isn't as much of that now. That was probably something that left a bigger mark.

I think people now feel like there missin' something. Wouldnt this be why there is all this Gadd worship now?

BTW Babe Ruth was the greatest. Because he was also the greatest lefty pitcher of his time too. A 94-46 record for a nine inning per game starter aint bad for the greatest hitter. Nobody today can do that.