View Single Post
Old 10-25-2012, 06:48 PM

Default Re: Derek Roddy here!

Hey derek!

I'm a big fan of your drumming, you don't play my type of music but I appreciate the skill required.

I'm currently practicing a lot of double bass mostly to get more control over my feet and I do the RH RH RF RF, LH LH LF LF exercise and also single strokes between my feet and hands, groups of three between feet and hands and so on.

I have a lot of different variations of these exercises, do you think it's more effective to practice them for long periods of time say 2 exercises for an hour each every day and just kind of sleep eat and breathe those patterns for say a month or do you think it's better to do maybe 15 minutes of each but do more exercises for 2 hours. Is it better to do few of them for long periods of time and then move on to the next after a few weeks or do you think mixing them up is better and practicing them for a few months maybe?

Also I play bury the beater style but I practice with the beater coming back because it requires more control. Do you think burying the beater will hinder progress? I'm not really interested in playing above 180BPM BTW.

Thanks man.

Keep on rockin, you are awesome.