Thread: Girl drummers
View Single Post
Old 10-05-2012, 01:30 AM
Renegade

Default Re: Girl drummers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longfuse View Post
Anyone, regardless of sex, who is encouraged to learn drums (especially from an early age) will end up with good rhythmic skills. In a lot of Islamic countries, many women were amateur drummers. That's not so much the case now, because modernisation has meant a lot of traditions are dying out, but many 'ordinary' women could be quite accomplished frame-drummers, tabla players etc.

My point? When there's a culture that encourages musicianship among women, then you end up with outstanding women musicians. And for that reason I'm in favour of any vids that promote women drummers. They can be role models, getting away from the typical, male drummer stereotype (I'm sure not all young women want to learn from pot-bellied bald guys with a wardrobe that hasn't rung the changes since 1988).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odd-Arne Oseberg View Post
They're just drummers. How the rest of the world reacts can't be blamed on them.

Something that''s rarer will always get more attention, just because it's not the norm.

Foreign musicians get a bit more attention in my country than the average Norwegian musician. When the double bass craze caught on about 10 years ago, the people who jumped on it got more attention. It's just how things work especially in the entertainment business.

Now if a girl is obviously trying to play that card that's her choice. But, it would be hypocritical to not admit that men do the exact same thing.

When I went to the conservatory there was only two players that had a deep enough groove and song sensibility that I truly enjoyed playing with them. One was male and the other a female. She was the only girl drummer in that school and to my knowledge the only one ever.

I wouldn't be surprised if there's only 1 female drummer pr.1000 male drummers. That in itself makes it unique.

I'm to old to get excited by half naked children, so as with all musicians I have only one concern. Can they play? All that other stuff is for the tabloids to ponder.
Outstanding posts, both.