View Single Post
Old 09-28-2012, 07:04 PM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: Genetically modified food

Quote:
...we've (collectively) been modifying all our food through selection for decades
Decades?! Try millennia! Since humans began farming some 10 000 years ago we’ve been modifying crops.

Quote:
... I'm hearing bad bad stories...I also read stories...I heard stories...I heard a story...
Yes, but “stories” aren’t solid evidence. They’re not studies. They’re not peer-reviewed. They’re just hearsay. Don’t fall for the baseless scare tactics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
Pffft. There is no (reliable) evidence anywhere of any kind that GMOs are in any way harmful.
+1 to that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon La Ply View Post
I'm buying more organic now that I can afford it. My guess is that it's higher quality food
“Organic” just means the farmers aren’t using pesticides. The quality of the produce is therefore lower, because there’s more critters hiding on your e.g. lettuce leaves. It’s a great idea to reduce pesticides, but wash that organic produce well!

Quote:
...genetically modified...eat up bro, get your fill.

Lemmings.
I’d say there’s a pretty good argument saying that people blindly mistrusting GMO are more lemming-like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon La Ply View Post
I don't know enough to form an opinion
Good on ya!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8Mile View Post
There is so much bullshit to sort through, so many agendas, influence from special interest groups and reactionary responses ranging from panic all the way to apathy. It's really hard to separate the truth from the hysteria
Right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8Mile View Post
I don't inherently trust businesses to police themselves. That would be naive.
+1 again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naigewron View Post
I'm just saying that I trust evidence and science over rumours and paranoia.
And another one worth repeating. I was getting worried for a moment over the plethora of one-sided unsupported opinions.

Last edited by Anduin; 09-28-2012 at 07:16 PM.