View Single Post
Old 09-28-2012, 04:04 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Genetically modified food

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon La Ply View Post
I'm buying more organic now that I can afford it. My guess is that it's higher quality food produced more ethically than GM, but in truth I don't know. You have all these claims and counter claims. Chances are that all of the claims for and against have a kernel of truth without telling the whole story, and often overstated. Pros and cons. Black, white and shades of grey. I suspect I have some food allergies and it may be gluten and sugar ... it seems I clog up after eating processed foods, but I'll need to go on an elimination diet to find out what's going on.

Ultimately almost nobody knows much about this stuff, and the voices of those who do are lost amongst all the hot air. People don't like to say they don't know something so they plump for a side that sits most comfortably with their political ideals, and then they have fierce arguments with other people who don't have a clue either. I'm not a scientist so I don't have the ability to parse all the info with any confidence. In that situation, I fall back on my old hippie ideals - peace & lurve, peace & lurve ...

So it's organic for me all the way, baybee! Some of it tastes better, some tastes the same. People say organic is overpriced BS but my guess is they know as much about organic growing as they do about GM, ie. enough to form an opinion, but not enough to form a valid opinion.

I am convinced that 99.99% of the participants in political debates know diddly about the subject matter. So I'm increasingly leaning towards the George Carlin approach - grab the popcorn and watch the show, which is preferable to despairing at our hubris, dishonesty and blinkered views. (I'd get GM popcorn, the organic stuff doesn't hit the spot - popcorn needs the salt and chemicals and stuff :)

Not dumping on people here, BTW. Just a general observation from reading news blogs.

// end blah
You hit on a lot of points I agree with here on subjects like this (and pretty much everything political, too).

Bottom line for me on this subject (and many others): I don't know.

That's the truth. There is so much bullshit to sort through, so many agendas, influence from special interest groups and reactionary responses ranging from panic all the way to apathy. It's really hard to separate the truth from the hysteria and partisan politics.

I wouldn't say I'm apathetic about it. I just don't have the time to work it all out. Between working a full-time job, family, paying the bills and trying to smooth out my flam drags, I'm never going to get to the objective "truth" about most issues.

I used to be pretty obsessive about nutrition and fitness. I haven't been, of late, mostly because of the demands of the job. Now that my work hours are a bit more sane than they've been over the past few years, I intend to get back on the straight and narrow.

When it comes to determining what's healthy, I go with my gut (no pun intended) and try to make healthy choices based on the cursory information I have. I've started paying more attention where I buy my food from. I grow vegetables in my own organic garden. I buy from local farmers who I know well enough to trust. That said, I do everything in moderation. I like the occasional coney island (sorry, Grea).

I don't inherently trust businesses to police themselves. That would be naive. But that goes for all kinds of businesses, not just the ones that produce food. Trying to keep track of all of it takes more time than I have.