View Single Post
Old 09-14-2012, 06:56 PM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

Default Re: playing for free - amanda palmer - are you serious?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NUTHA JASON View Post
playing for free because its fun not only undermines the value... these musicians should at least be payed union standard rates for their stage time.
I guess that's the real question - what constitutes a musician? Is anyone capable of making musical sounds on an instrument considered a musician? Or does one have to desire some furtherment of their playing to be considered a musician? And at what point does either possess value?

As a pro, I get compensated for my work. Such a one-night-for-free arrangement would normally not appeal to me (although I could name many exceptions!) But let's say that I just toyed on an instrument, for fun, and don't do any paying gigs. If I was offered a spot in a low-budget gig as non-essential stage dressing that gets to make some musical sounds, should I become indignant and demand money?

Based on the article, that's all that's going on here. Pros aren't being asked to devalue themselves or other pros.

Sorry, but I have a unique knowledge of why this stuff is done. Sometimes that's a curse. But if we're going to share knowledge, all perspectives need to be brought up.

Bermuda