View Single Post
Old 09-11-2012, 07:46 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: In Remembrance...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamadrm View Post
Mary.....first let me say thank you.I'm proudly retired NYPD and I was a first responder that day.I lost a few friends,and nearly my son who worked in the Trade Center for Cantor Fitzgerald.

The reason my kid's still alive is he had an extra cup of coffee on the ferry boat ride from Staten Island that morning,and actually had to use the port-a-john a couple of blocks away.He had just come out and was around the corner when the first tower fell.

I could tell you all tons of stories about that day,but that one about my son and meeting my former high school friend and bandmate at ground zero that day was just amazing.My buddy was a retired FDNY lieutenant and responded in his bunker gear to help out.I was also retired from about 6 months before, as a Crime Scene Unit Detective.There was so much chaos that day,the mayor was asking for retired cops and firemen to respond.

I worked on the "pile" at ground zero for a few days,and then at the land fill,collecting remains for DNA testing and crime scene evidence.

This event in our history is something that can't be forgotton about.........ever.The World Trade Center,The Pentagon,and the bravery of the passengers of United flight 93 to crash their own plane should serve as a reminder that freedom isn't free.

Mods..I tried to be as apolitical as I could.

Steve B
And thank you Steve. I realized that in my OP I forgot to thank those of you who didn't perish but gave so much on that day and the ones that followed. And I'm glad to hear about your son. Take care!