View Single Post
Old 09-07-2012, 03:35 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: How can I get my girlfriend to see how badly she needs to quit smoking?

Try as you might, unless she makes that conscious decision to let 'em go......it just ain't gonna work. You can yell and scream and rant and rave until the cows come home. What's it gonna change? There's not a smoker alive who is stupid enough to believe that what they're doing is not causing them damage. Yet still they smoke, so what does that tell us about the mental aspect of addiction?

I love it too. Have done for years and only in the last few months have I had the change of mindset to put them down and make a diligent attempt to give 'em away. Still, it took me until last week to actually take the plunge.....and let me tell you, it's friggen hard. I crave them everyday....several times a day, but I'm determined to be strong. But it was indeed my conscious decision that's allowed me to even try. Anything others have said has fallen on deaf ears for years. My wife is an ex smoker, my old man is an ex smoker, my best mate is an ex smoker....all of them have harped on incessantly over the years. Do you honestly reckon any of it made a pinch of difference at the time? Despite knowing the dangers and in spite of their constant pissing and moaning, it still wasn't enough to get me to stop. I've had to come to that decision for myself.

I had to want to do it.......so does she.