View Single Post
Old 09-04-2012, 10:53 PM
Gold Member

Default Re: How can I get my girlfriend to see how badly she needs to quit smoking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NerfLad View Post
Yeah, getting adversarial is a GREAT idea. I want to help and support her, not teach her some lesson "the hard way". Thanks for playing.
More often than not the hard is the only way when it comes to addiction. I friend was a pretty hard alcoholic for a long while. Then one day we found him on the bathroom floor in a pool of blood and vomit, dehydrated, and passed out. We rushed him to the hospital, he woke up and he made to commitment then to stop drinking.

No one ever wants it to go that far, especially with our loved ones, but as many others have said, the will to change has to originate with the addict. A brush with death, or a great personal loss is a powerful motivator. Sometimes the right thing to do is to simply not tolerate destructive behavior and leave rather than try to fix it, because if you try to do too much, you'll push it too far, and she'll leave you.

"Soon we must all face the choice between what is right and what is easy." - Prof Dumbledore.