View Single Post
Old 08-31-2012, 05:02 AM

Default Re: DRUM INSTRUCTION DVD & BOOK REVIEWS

NAME:
Aquiles Priester- The Infallible Reason For My Freak Drumming

STAR RATING:
#####

WORDED RATING:
Excellent insight into the mind of one of today's premier metal drummers, full of great performances and exercises.

TARGET AUDIENCE:
Intermediate to advanced

PUBLISHED BY:
Mel Bay

DESCRIPTION:

The primary feature of this DVD is Aquiles performing a set of songs from his bands Hangar and Freakeys along with 2 drum solos and a cover of Death's "Symbolic". The DVD also includes 2 lesson segments. The first is mostly at a practice pad, where Aquiles demonstrates his slightly unconventional yet highly practical hand technique through a series of exercises-most of which are based around paradiddles. The 2nd lesson is on double bass technique. Aquiles runs through a series of exercises for making both feet even, demonstrates his favorite double bass grooves and discusses his pedal settings. Also included is a rundown of his gear and an in depth interview, which I can not critique because I haven't watched it yet. The instructional segments are great exercises for any drummer, not just metal drummers. Aquiles is very clear in his explanations of everything and does not do anything simply for the sake of showing off. The performances really showcase Aquiles' speed, precision, independence, creativity and musicality. The music that he performs is much more accessible to a non metal fan than the music featured on most metal drumming DVDs, so I would recommend this to anyone who's not even normally a fan of metal drumming. One major word of caution: English is not Aquiles' first language, so unless you are a fluent Spanish speaker, make sure you turn on the subtitles before watching.