View Single Post
Old 08-30-2012, 08:42 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: 14, a pivotal age in shaping our musical tastes?

Age 14 was a bit of a blur, because at 15 I started my first band, and don't remember much about the transition from dreamer to doer. The first band was a cover band [incidentally, the only cover band I've ever played in], and the songs we played consisted of a lot of stuff that is on Steve Tamadrm's list. Yes, that was 10 years later, but all that stuff still mattered. There were a couple of other things, contemporary things for the time, that I could add [Deep Purple, etc.], but for the most part, we were a 60's cover band.

What happened not much later had a huge effect on me, which was punk music. Never went back after that. I've been playing it in some form or another since 1981.

But I think it all makes sense....I had a bitter taste in my mouth from much of the music in the 70's...my band wasn't playing anything on the charts at the time....and I couldn't bring myself to listen to it. Then punk came along.

So, I guess that, even though I was heavily influenced by what I was listening to around that time, I didn't find my true inspiration until a few years later.

Mary....best avatar EVER!!