View Single Post
Old 08-04-2012, 05:25 PM

Default Re: Pop music too loud and all sounds the same

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon La Ply View Post
"Desperate melismas" is perfect. May I borrow it? :)

None of this has been helped by the Idol shows, where the singers have one song to prove that they have the chops if required, so they show them off where it's not required (or even desirable).

The trend was already there, as you say, to provide some interest in slapdash, formulaic commercial tunes but the "sensitive talented female singer with the big voice who is cute and can dance" meme has been done to death.

Bring on the edgy women, I say!

Didn't know about Bing singing faster tunes, apart from his version of Caravan that IMO sounded anaemic as compared with Duke's.
Well, to be fair almost everything is anaemic compared with Duke. And yeah Idol has pushed that trend to it's limits. But I went to school with some really good musicians and singers and i hope that we can break through and bring things back to a good level. I just wish we still had vaudeville to cut our teeth in. The most useful thing about vaudeville was it separated those who had what it took from those who didnt in swift fashion because you would get the hook and be fired that very night if you were underpar. It forced a give it your all everynight attitude. Knock em dead being the goal of the performance because otherwise you wouldnt have a job the next day And of course you can use "desperate mellismas"