Old 07-15-2012, 06:42 AM

Default Re: DRUM INSTRUCTION DVD & BOOK REVIEWS

A couple of recent acquisitions from Hudson Digital:

NAME:
John Blackwell: Hudson Music Master Series

STAR RATING:
#####

WORDED RATING:
A great insight into the mind of a modern master with some great performances and solos.

TARGET AUDIENCE:
Intermediate/Advanced

PUBLISHED BY:
Hudson Music

DESCRIPTION:
Similar to the Steve Gadd and Antonio Sanchez Master Series, this one is filmed in a clinic setting. John plays a couple of tunes with a band featuring bass master Gary Grainger, answers questions and demonstrates various grooves, foot techniques and stick tricks. John's teacher, Marcus Williams, stops by for a lesson on foot technique and plays a tune with John which ends in an incredible drum duel. I'd recommend this to anyone who's interested in funk, fusion and R&B drumming. John is very soft spoken, but comes off as very down to earth and has some very interesting stories. Whether you just watch the performances or try and integrate some of the ideas in your own playing, this is a must buy.

NAME:
Jason Bittner- What Drives The Beat

STAR RATING:
# # # ##

WORDED RATING:
A very musical and accessible method to learn metal drums taught by one of today's premier metal drummers.

TARGET AUDIENCE:
Intermediate to advanced

PUBLISHED BY:
Hudson Music

DESCRIPTION:

Shadows Fall drummer Jason Bittner presents what I have found to be by far the most musical and accessible method of learning metal drums. The DVD starts off with Jason presenting his pre-show warm up routine, and goes on to cover rudimental ideas (shown in the context of the song "Redemption"), skank beats, double bass, blast beats, two handed riding, fills and soloing. The DVD concludes with Jason's "metalfying" approach in which he demonstrates how to use a wide variety of styles in a metal context. For someone like me who's only a casual metal fan, I found this DVD to be far more accessible than the Derek Roddy or George Kollias DVD's- although someone with more extreme tastes would probably get more out of those. Jason is a fantastic teacher who is very dedicated to his craft, and he has presented a fantastic method for learning metal drums. If you're just getting into metal or want some new ideas to spice up your metal playing, I highly recommend this one!

Last edited by drummindan8484; 08-31-2012 at 06:04 AM.