View Single Post
Old 07-13-2012, 09:22 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Lost my battle with water :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad About Drums View Post
... and quite a few less in your pocket I'd imagine, phew, that a very long drive you've got there Andy, and draining systems are not cheap, nor is a JCB's rate per hour :(

I hope it will do the 'trick" and stops the flooding.

Where is the water drained? into the sub-soil or into the council's drains?
I prefer not to mention the cost :(, It's why I've been putting it off for three years. We're doing this job as economically as possible (by using "mates rates" labour, etc. + I know a lot of people with machines :) ), but to a high quality. My mantra is "make the first job the best job", then I don't have to worry about it again. That said, there's no getting away from the fact that we're constructing a small road. The drive is 500 foot long :(

I have two storm drain systems. One's already in place around the house. It was the first job I took care of when I bought the property. It's a 12" system with 5,000 gallons of underground capture capacity, that then goes to overflow ditches. I use the stored water to extract heat from in the winter via a heat pump linked into my geothermal & air source heating. That then pumps heated water under all the floors in my house. You can probably tell I'm into my system stuff :)

The new drains will go into a new culvert I'm constructing, & then onto the lane storm ditches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
Wow! Quite the project indeed!
Yes, it's a bit of a job alright, but nothing compared to the work I've already done on the property.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
That sucks but at least you guys are taking care of it! And I thought I had problems when I had my house re-piped the other day....
Yes Bo, I hate spending hard earned money on benign stuff, but if I left it any longer, it would be a much bigger (& more expensive) job. We both needed piping work done, but mine's on a more brutal scale :(

Last edited by keep it simple; 07-13-2012 at 09:33 PM.