View Single Post
Old 07-03-2012, 08:52 AM

Default Re: Drum Tuning iPhone App

Hi guys - thanks again for your feedback and for an interesting discussion. Thanks Soupy, you are very right with your comments about F0. Actually one of the key drivers for developing the iDrumTune software is just to help drummers learn a bit more about the science of their drums and to be inquisative of how and where all the sound comes from. Ideally everyone would be able to tune with their ears alone, but hopefully iDrumTune helps accelerate the learning curve.

Dre25 and Planet_boom - to analyse the F1 frequnecy you need to hold the iPhone at the edge and also hit the drum at the same place at the edge. If the F0 frequency is still being picked up then look at the spectrum view and you should be able to identify the F1 frequency too. Yes when people say 'I tune the resonant head to a 3rd of the batter head' they must be refering to the F1 frequency, as F0 is the same for batter and resonant. Whereas F1 can be different for batter and resonant. In my research I've expeimented with tuning F1_batter to 1.5xF0 and F1_resonant to approximately 2xF0, giving a harmonious relationship, similar to that of tuned tympani.eg F0=100Hz, F1b=150Hz F1r=200Hz. Its not always possible to be exact, and it can be quite hard to achieve, but this relationship does give a very 'musical' sound to your toms.

It's amazing how complex a simple thing you hit can be from an acoustic point of view!

I'm working on extra iDrumTune features to assist better with clearing the drumhead, tuning the resonant head and also analysing decay times, as well as a recording feature for storing prefered tuning setup data, so there's still plenty of future enhancement to iDrumtune to come!

And yes, supported devices are as follows: iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPod touch (3rd generation), iPod touch (4th generation) and iPad. Requires iOS 5.0 or later.

And hopefully one day Android! But unfortunately we don't have a completion date yet :(

Happy tuning!