View Single Post
Old 07-01-2012, 07:33 AM
Renegade

Default Re: ...for the jazz cats ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numberless View Post
Hare, great post as always. Your blog is a treasure man, right now it's one of three blogs that I can always turn to for a source of inspiration (the others being The Bulletproof Musician and Cruise Ship Drummer). It's always a pleasure.
Agree with all of that but I've not heard of The Bulletproof Musician. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numberless View Post
I'm practicing Stick Control as low and softly and ppp as possible to get my overall volume down and I'm just listening to as many records as I can so that I get a sense of how to interact with other musicians.
Huge challenge, eh? Doing lots of listening too. That's what I love about jazz ... everyone says "You must do more listening". It's like being advised by the doctor to up your chocolate intake :)

My approach has been to repeat rhythms (including unaccompanied spangalang, from Andrew's ride video) to a met, from very soft to punchy (but not that loud). I keep the met at low volume to keep things down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gvdadrummasum View Post
being a rock drummer for most of my life the biggest hurdle for me is getting....and keeping my volume down

sometimes I'll get it down quite a bit....then my adrenaline gets pumping and before I know it I'm playing a bit louder than I should be
Same problem here when I get excited. In rock you need to be up in the mix and driving, or everyone will think you're a wet dish rag. In other styles you embed and listen more. If I can't clearly hear the bass then I figure I'm getting carried away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haredrums View Post
Do you normally play this solo with the guitarist playing the line behind you? In my experience soloing over a vamp like this only works when there is a great deal of trust, cooperation, and listening between all the parties involved.

A couple of simple ideas for bringing the guitarist in more. First I would say, leave more space! Just play a note and then stop and listen for a while. This can be a scary thing to do at first when you feel the pressure of having to solo, but trust yourself and be patient. Just hit that note and then back off.

The second thing would be to play some simple repeated figures that the band can latch on to. I actually felt like you were trying to do this a couple of times, but the guitarist wasn't moving with you. Does your guitarist feel confident enough to get away from the vamp?
Thanks for the good advice, Andrew! At first I played the solo alone but it seemed a bit naff ...everyone dropping out for the "drum star" to strut her stuff. If I could play like you guys, okay ...

And yes, I've been afraid to leave more space, especially in the first half, which is where I think some stops would be to greatest advantage.

I'll tell the others I'll be trying something different beforehand or I'll scare the horses, which comes back to what Numberless said about interaction. I don't think I'll plan what I play ... just listen to the guitarist and try to pick stops that work with what he plays so he'll feel natural in filling the space (that's the theory, anyway :)

It's a fun challenge. We're mostly playing our singer's preferred genres and the band is playing catchup, but loving playing at a volume that doesn't hurt. I personally think drum and cymbal tones are more beautiful at low volume.

Sorry this is so long but this is the kind of thing I most want to learn ATM

Soundcloud stream