View Single Post
Old 06-19-2012, 08:29 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Better than the original

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacteriumFendYoke View Post
I'm not going to actively disagree with you because I haven't heard Les Claypool's version. With that said, I think the 'deadness' you describe is an active aesthetic choice with 'Animals'. It is a very dark album and intentionally alienating to some degree and I think that is emphasised by the production style. They also produced it at Britannia Row (their own studio) that had a lot less gear than they had beforehand so I think that stripped back approach was two-fold and entirely intentional.

'Wish You Were Here' certainly is a richly produced album. They were just making a break for the hills with 'Animals'.
Good points. Generally what gets me down about most Pink Floyd productions is the snare sound. Shallow of me, I know, but I just can't seem to like Nick Mason's taste in snare tuning. So when I heard Les' drummer cracking away on a nicely tuned, wide open Black Beauty, I was like, "That's it!" But there's also something about the ambiance of the live recording that appeals to me as well.