View Single Post
Old 06-18-2012, 11:35 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: ...for the jazz cats ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by groove1 View Post
This trend began when Jazz started being taught as "a craft" in the colleges.

I am very lucky in that I am a full time jazz musician....this came after decades of working full time jobs and playing weekends....over 40 years worth! I live in a community that supports
the arts and usually play about 2-3 times a week. I can only support myself these days doing this because of all the years of solid employment. God Bless the drummers that have
succeeded in full time musical careers! Everytime I read of someone on this site that has put his daughter through college playing drums etc...it makes me very happy!
I'm with you there. When I started out in the late sixties it was in the nightclubs, four sets a night six nights a week, and you'd stay in one place for a good stretch, month after month if the conract was renewed. It really got my playing together and the money was great. Before too long one was a seasoned pro with a headful of jazz standards and, unfortunately, a lot of less appealing music. Still, all that on-the-job sink-or-swim playing experience was priceless.

When the clubs started going the way of the dinosaur, most of us drifted over to studio work and other sorts of sub-contracting, which we could do because we'd established ourselves in the city as pros. I don't know how the young guys do it today. It's got to be pretty damned daunting, particularly when we're talking about jazz, with as limited an audience as there is for that genre.