View Single Post
Old 06-18-2012, 11:25 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Better than the original

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
I was recently listening to Les Claypool's Frog Brigade playing Pink Floyd's Animals in it's entirety live. I think I actually like it better if only for the sound quality. As a much as I love me some Floyd and for as much as they've pushed the envelope on production values, to me there's often something missing or a certain deadness in their studio sounds that makes me wish for something richer.
I'm not going to actively disagree with you because I haven't heard Les Claypool's version. With that said, I think the 'deadness' you describe is an active aesthetic choice with 'Animals'. It is a very dark album and intentionally alienating to some degree and I think that is emphasised by the production style. They also produced it at Britannia Row (their own studio) that had a lot less gear than they had beforehand so I think that stripped back approach was two-fold and entirely intentional.

'Wish You Were Here' certainly is a richly produced album. They were just making a break for the hills with 'Animals'.